Monday, November 1, 2010

Fall

Fall just zoomed by this year! Between school, soccer, girl scouts, and other social events we haven't had much free time. We still had time to celebrate the season in both new and traditional ways...

Corn Maze- Jess and I had been talking about doing this for a while. The guys weren't that enthused but that changed once we got to Stowvaker's and they saw the massive maze. The employees give you a paper and you have to find various images hidden in the maze and take rubbings of them. The fool who told us the rules made the mistake of telling the guys that they probably would not finish the maze, condemning us to 2 1/2 hours of wandering through the maze on a cold October night just so Russ and Rog could prove him wrong. Boys! We did have a lot of fun though and hopefully we can go again next year!
Fieldtrips- Amanda and I were very lucky to be chosen for both the kindergarten and 3rd grade fall field trips. Kindergarten went to Buppert's Farm and 3rd grade went to the Farm Museum. The hay ride to the pumpkin patch was a great experience for the kids and it was really neat to have the farmer's wife read us a story. Buppert's even had a little corn maze for us to explore. The farm museum was interesting for the 3rd graders who are just starting to learn about the way things were before electricity and other modern conveniences. It was interesting to watch their little wheels turn while they pictured themselves living in the 1800s. It was really cold!
Scarecrow- The whole kindergarten dressed up like scarecrows. It was a good opportunity for me to practice sewing because my wild stitches fit in perfectly with scarecrow patches. We borrowed the hat from Poppy and I bought some yarn and a flannel shirt from Goodwill for $2. This is how it turned out!
Halloween- Rog has been working a lot of overtime and side jobs this fall so we didn't actually get to carve our pumpkins until Halloween. We kept the jack-o-lantern simple. Nat did the eyes and Anthony did the nose. I did the mouth and Roger did the top. I think it was cute! Russ and Jess gave Anthony Carter's old Batman costume, which was so awesome of them because it saved me about $30 and Natalie wanted to be a monkey. The only monkey costume I could find was kind of silly looking and expensive so I found a foam monkey hat and some felt at Michael's and bought her a brown shirt at Goodwill- oila, a $5 costume that she won't take off. I took the kids around this year and Rog gave out candy.



No comments:

Post a Comment