Monday, November 2, 2009

Jess' Baby Shower






Jess' baby shower was a big success! I think she had a lot of fun and she knows how much we love her and Russ and how excited we are for this new baby. Russ got a surprise DIAPER party at the McShanes at the same time with all of the guys, which Anthony got a kick out of: "Daddy and I are going to the boy party, Mommy, and you and Natalie have to go to the 'grill' party." & "Is it time for the boy diaper party yet?" He likes saying the word "diaper" way too much :)

We had a great turnout. I had such a good time working on it with her mom and her sisters- we picked a simple theme, clothesline, and ran with it. Instead of a lot of streamers and disposable decorations, we put up clothesline and hung the onesies and bibs that she had registered for. It looked so cute! Megan made a diaper cake and they all brought food, games, and favors, so all I had to do was tidy up and bake the actual cake. I decided to do 3 different-flavored cake rolls, ice the outside to look like material, and stack them to look like 3 rolled up blankets. I made a chocolate, an orange, and a lemon and Michelle came over the day before and helped me make the icing and ice the cakes. We made Italian Buttercream instead of American this time. The big difference is that it has to be refrigerated. It was totally delish! The textures are very different as well and they each have pros and cons. We also reused the nice plates I had collected for Michelle's shower in June so we had very little waste, which is important to me. I couldn't figure out what to do for the cups because I usually have people write their names on those cheap reusable plastic cups you get at Target and Walmart and then I let them keep them but since it's not summer I couldn't get my hands on any. While I was out shopping I found some plastic cups made from corn that are both compostable and sustainable! Made me so happy! They look like regular clear plastic disposable cups and most people had no clue they were any different.

Jess' sisters organized a game where everyone brought baby pictures and we all tried to guess who was who. Hard! But OMG, I forgot what a cutie Natalie was as a baby (still is). Jess was pretty entertaining to watch. She's just a pregnant cutie pie. She REALLY ENJOYED the food and made typical Jess-like comments while opening the gifts. She alone cracks me up, and then to watch her sisters' and her mom's faces and retorts as she videotapes made it even funnier.

We're so looking forward to meeting the baby and hearing the name. I think it's a girl but we'll see. She's getting close to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment