We didn't get out to Baugher's again this year because it rained EVERY SATURDAY in October! Seriously, we've had one soccer day that was sunny so far. We could have gone on Sundays, but we thought it would be way crowded since Saturdays were a wash. So last Sunday after Carter's super sweet church program, we just went to the market and
bought from the bins. We carved them Sunday night and Mom and Dad came over for dessert and watched. I started the pumpkins but the kids scooped them out and once I showed them how they carved them all by themselves! We decorated much more than usual- we got window clings! I know, big whoop but it's more than we usually do. You can tell our neighborhood really likes Halloween so I was inspired. I even bought one of those leaf bags that you display, it was a big spider with legs and you fill it all up with leaves, but our oak and gingkos have yet to lose their leaves, so maybe next year...
OK, so I read the entire Harry Potter series this summer and I'm still on a big Harry Potter kick months later. Luckily my children humored me and agreed to be Harry and Hermione for Halloween. The night before we made a fire, popped popcorn and watched The Sorcerer's Stone so they could study their characters :) Michelle very generously let us use her graduation robes. (I don't know where mine are). I decided I wasn't going to die their hair or anything because we do have parties to go to the next day, and also I like my linens the way they are. We dressed the children in turtlenecks and Michelle and Natalie painted 2 goodwill ties with red and yellow stripes. I printed the gryffindor crest off of the internet. Next I took leftover groucho marx glasses from Ant's birthday party and cut off the nose and eyebrows. Roger used our leftover face paints from Nat's 4th birthday to give Anthony a scar while Michelle and I pinned up the gowns so they weren't too long. These costumes retail for around $70 with the tie and glasses, and I spent like $5 on the ties and fabric paint. I think they turned out alright!
Michelle and I gave out candy while Roger and Kenn took the kids around. They got lots of candy and despite the rain I think they really enjoyed themselves. We had just enough for everyone and I had a good time commenting on everyone's costumes. If they hadn't put much effort in I gave them a laughy taffy :) We were pretty goofy in our witch hats!
I never really got into Halloween as a kid but now I just love it, at least the non-scary costumes. Happy Birthday to my sister, who was born dangerously close to Halloween, the night of Oct. 30 of some year in the 80's, not gonna say b/c she's getting up there... Next up is the holiday that is my all-time FAVE! Can't wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment