Monday, July 4, 2011

Swim Lessons: Check

The first thing on the agenda for this summer was to get the kids to be better swimmers. I'm still thinking about putting them on swim team at some point so that they can be really good swimmers, but for now we just did swim lessons.

Nat and Anty learned a lot in the two week program. On the first day they both went to their teachers and got in the chilly water. Natalie improved her strokes, learned to tread water, jumped off the diving board, and passed her deep water test. Anthony is now swimming by himself. I did a double take one morning after watching Natalie jump off the board because my 5 year old was in line behind her. He jumped fearlessly into the deep end and shocked the instructor because he jumped so far he landed on top of her. When he came to get his towel and I praised him, he didn't think it was any big deal, but I that I should definitely get him Rita's for it:)
This weekend I sat in the grass for the first time since they were born, watching Anty with a friend in the shallow end and Natalie jumping off the diving board again and again. It's unbelievable to me that my shy little girl will wait in a line with complete strangers and leap off a board in front of everyone. (Umm, Natalie, where was that gusto when you spent the entire preschool Christmas concert on my lap trembling with fear?) I wasn't comfortable enough to really get into a book because I'm still my kids' #1 lifeguard, but it was still nice to not have to be in the icy water the whole time.

This week Dad's taking them to WRC. Will Natalie have the guts to do the big diving board?

No comments:

Post a Comment