It was not a resolution or anything, I just happened to have more time to focus on what we were eating in January with all the snow days, etc. It was sooooo much extra work but I bought "400 Calorie Fix" and Roger and I participated in the 2 week slim down. I painstakingly planned (3) 400 calorie meals per day for myself and 4-5 for Roger. We supplemented our diet with multivitamins in case we missed any nutrients. We quit our prospective sodas (mine being Coke and his being Mountain Dew) cold turkey. Roger was grumpy as his caffeine intake went from 3 mountain dews and coffee down to just coffee. Let's just say I'm glad I'm not Selwyn...he must have been a bear to put up with at work. Since the 2 week period ended, we have kept up with the schedule of the diet but have returned to our usual meal rotation, simply altering our portion sizes. We have incorporated some of the recipes though, and we both LOVE the part-skim ricotta with strawberries idea.
Well, now that we're 5 weeks in, the latest weigh-ins are very encouraging. Roger has lost about 13 lbs and I have lost 10. We're very happy with the results and will continue to follow our plan. We just need to throw more excercise into the mix.
What I took away from it:
I was snacking wayyyy too much. Especially since I started staying home, food has been in my face all day, and I let it creep up on me. I needed a snack for everything, from checking email to folding laundry. I completely cut out snacking. In the late afternoon, I drink some coffee to fill me up until dinner.
I wasn't eating breakfast before. With this plan, I had to literally force myself to consume 400 calories when I woke up, and felt on the verge of vomit for quite a while. But filling myself up to start my day allowed me to be more productive earlier and made me much less susceptible to snacking binges in the late afternoon.
I may have to start consuming a few more calories as I start to run again this spring, but I feel so much more in control and knowledgeable than I did before. We've never been terribly unhealthy, but we're thinking about what we put into our bodies now more than ever. We both feel better, and healthier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment