Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back in Session!




Natalie and Anthony have both started their new schools! Nat started Tuesday August 25 and Anthony just started Monday the 31st.

After last year I was ready to have a difficult time with Nat but she only shed a few tears and hopped right on the bus (I know, we live like a block from the school but I want her to get familiar with riding and then we can walk, otherwise I'll never get her to ride. Also they'd have to pry her off of me at the front door). The bus comes at 8:50! Last year in Camden I dropped Natalie off at 7:15 am! I didn't mind it because I'm usually up early but Natalie has teenager-like sleep habits so our mornings are now much more relaxed. So far she's doing well and she seems excited about learning and making new friends. I didn't know that they start changing classes in the second grade! Natalie has one teacher in the morning for ILA and then switches right before lunch for what they call math and content. I met both of her teachers at the open house and I was very impressed. Nat's ILA teacher looks very young but on top of things. Her math teacher makes a point of finding out who all of her new students are beforehand so when we walked in she said "You must be Natalie!" That was sweet. I know she'll be fine. She loves learning and it comes natural to her to be very disciplined and organized.

Anthony, in stark contrast to Natalie's teary and shy first day of Pre-k, gave me a kiss, climbed onto the bus, and didn't look back once when it was his turn. He was very eager after his sister and cousin both started school the week before! He even wanted to pack a lunch just like them! So cute. Anthony rides a bus that collects his whole little Pre-k class. He goes to a different elementary school 5 minutes away because the Pre-k at Natalie's school was full. His bus driver, Miss Ronnie (quite a character), picks him up at 12:15 and drops him off around 4, same as Nat. Closing the door when he left the first day was a very lonely experience that I wasn't ready to have! I had a hard time with him turning 4 and it's just weird after nearly 8 years of always having a little one at home at all times that I have almost 4 hours a day, 5 days a week sans children. At least Roger was off work the first day to distract me, but when it's just me and Riley it gets pretty quiet. On the bright side, I get stuff done!

So far Anthony's school year is going great. He thrives on routine and he has his own little group of friends that sit together on the bus and play together in class, according to his teacher. He is very willing to participate in class as well. We're off to a great school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment