Sunday, January 9, 2011

domestiKate



So I've been meaning to post a few pictures of the projects I tackled in our home this fall. The first thing I did was paint all the doors and trim in our hallway upstairs. For some reason the previous homeowners never did this, or if they did, they used gray paint. Either way, the trim was begging for some white semi gloss, so I finally obliged. I hate painting paneled doors. They always require at least 3 coats. Ugh...



Next, I was at Lowe's looking at paint colors for the hallway. I was leaning towards an antique white when I spotted "Kiss Me Kate" and there was no question after that that it would be our color. It's a light blue. I've never bought paint because of a name before but I do love it! I've always had an aversion to blue but I guess I can stand it in small doses. Roger likes it so much he wants to use it in the basement. That's a lot of blue- I'm not sure I can commit.



I collected items for the kids' bathroom for a while. A few years ago, my cousin Nick traveled to Indonesia after the tsunami and helped start a coconut moss doormat factory. He brought me back some wooden elephant sculptures, which I adore. I thought an Asian/Indonesian theme would be cool as long as I didn't overdo it.



Poor Amanda came over to help me out with the painting. She was cutting around the bath when she fell and sprained her ankle, which put her out of ALL of her marathons for the fall, including the marine corp. I still feel awful about that! I will think of her every time I go in that bathroom. The children definitely appreciate her sacrifice and they love the space!




Inspired by the sweet elephants, the colors for the room were yellow, black, red, and blue. I bought a neat black and white Monty Pythonish shower curtain on ebay. It's not officially Asian, but it's whimsical for the kids. Plus, the clouds make me think of enlightenment, which is coincidentally the name of the yellow on the walls. I found some other elephant things- towel hooks, etc, and painted them to match. I also bought some coordinating bathroom containers and a dusty blue mat. I can't remember what inspired the mustard on the vanity, but I like it. We just need some better lighting in there and I need to add some art and we'll be set.



Ever since these projects were completed, we've been working on finishing the basement. As I type today the drywallers are putting mud on the seams, so we're getting very close! Hopefully we'll have pictures of a finished basement to post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment