This snow is so crazy! I've never seen anything like this here before. It's hard to photograph in a way that really shows how deep it is in reality, and it's still coming. We've been inside basically since Friday except for when we ventured out between storms on Tuesday to get the kids out of the house and burn some energy. Roger has not had to go to work so far this week. I love having him home. We've done a few projects (we finally finished painting the stairwell) but we're mostly just taking it easy, watching movies and playing with the kids. We've taken them outside a bit too. I know it's a major hassle to a lot of people, but it's nice every now and then to stop and do nothing for a little while, that's why I love the Outer Banks so much.
Most likely we won't get this much snow again until we're long gone, but the next time a blizzard is predicted I've learned to do a few things differently:
1) Put trash cans in garage otherwise you won't be able to get to them or even find them in my father's case. He had to go to Lowe's and buy a new one!
2) Order firewood before it gets low. I called a few days before the blizzard and found out the hard way that the same guys who bring me wood are snow removal contractors and so we haven't been able to get even a half cord delivered at this point and we probably won't until next week. Instead of having fires 24/7 like we normally would if we were home all day, we've been conserving in case we lose power.
3) Have more meals planned than you think you'll need.
4) Let the dog out the front door otherwise he'll go on the deck. Yuck!
5) Make sure kids don't leave the sleds in the yard between snows or you won't be able to find them!
6) Always get the kids boots in the fall. I didn't want to spend money on them for Anthony because his feet are growing so fast and once we got that first snow in December they have not been available in stores. The poor kid has been wearing rain boots outside!
Looks like Roger will be home again tomorrow. We might venture out and go sledding, if we can manage to locate the sleds!

No comments:
Post a Comment